Sunday, June 15, 2008

Day Two with Old Helen

Day two: Eggs (4), apple, and cereal (especially delicious). We went to church this morning at nine (dievit). There were about 35 there. I sat in the back with my translator Ira; the songs were all familiar old school tunes but in Russian. I could pronounce some of the words but mostly sang like someone who doesn't know the lyrics to a song. There were two lessons given by Gary and the resident preacher's son Dima led singing.
Afterwards Jon, Rachel, Olga, Ira, and I went with Masha to her home for 'pancakes' with strawberries and rose jam. We then went to the airport to pick up Rachel's dad (Father's Day gift). We took him to his residence to crash and then went to Jane's (who is Greg's translator) house to have another study with the babushkas. Old Helen was there this time and told us an animated story of her trip to America. She is quite a character, and being a great-grandmother and ex-Soviet agent (more on this later (I hope)), she holds my utmost respect. Though at the end of Greg's lesson, she became very serious as she asked if she could ask a question. She was very hesitant and apologized in advance if her question was offensive. I'm looking a Gary preparing to hear a lengthy theological discussion, but Old Helen turns and looks straight at me and asks how long I have had my hair in dreadlocks. I am overcome by the uniformity of people across the globe. I smiled and said two (divat) months. She asked how you do them. We suggested in jest that she should do some to which she replied very seriously that she wouldn't mind. I told her the two people that helped my (thanks Kim and Tyler (I owe you much and then some)) spent 20+ hours on my hair and that since her hair was much longer it would take much longer. She also asked when I last washed my hair (some stereotypes are worldwide). We had hot tea and cakes. Jon was struggling to stay awake during the lesson (no offense Greg), but we persevered through two lectures (one in English the other in Russian). We then went to the market where we ate at the same buffet as the first night (though it was in a mall).
Kathy and I purchased groceries for breakfast and the lunch we will be providing for tomorrow; typical foodstuffs: ham, cheese, bread, juice, tomatoes, chips (bacon, chicken, sour cream and onion, and cheddar). We returned to the flats afterward with instructions about tomorrow. The shower, some music, some writing, and some sleeping, for tomorrow we ball.
P.s. Happy Father's Day dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how wonderful your stories are. Zach, man, i love to hear about these adventures. Pour into these people. You are such an encouragement. I love you