Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Day the Music Cried

Last day of camp; power up with the usual breakfast while pumping some tunes (not toons). We got to the gym and I was asked to give a little devotional/pep talk/bit of encouragement. I told everyone to pour it out today, don't hold back any enthusiasm because these kids deserve all that we can give them. The little guys were wonderful again having so much fun while being more competitive than they've been all week. We handed out ribbons and medals to the top three players in each of the various events. It was great to watch the kids receive the awards (I couldn't have cared less about ever receiving any of that type of stuff), but they absolutely loved it. The older groups was much the same: having lots of fun and being very competitive. The camera crew came back and the reporter asked for my email and said she will send me a link to the news report they aired last night. The guys named Stas (or Ctac if you prefer Russian) that gave me the necklace gave me a small broom today that was decorated with stones and shells and a picture. He had made it for me and it is to be hung in my house to keep evil away (pagan tradition); it means a lot to me though and I told him that I appreciate him very much; in return I gave him my headband to wear. He then had me sign a hundred dollar bill (copy). Many of the other kids also had us sign their camp shirts. We received two gifts from the college. One pen with a piece of flare, and an informative booklet about the college, and a picture frame. We took lots of pictures with the kids afterwards. The coach came up to me and thanked me for coming and said he would love to have me on the team but that foreigner could only play in the super leagues in the Ukraine (I might consider a basketball comeback tour in Europe (just to see if I still got it (or if I can find it)).
The Badminton Guru had hand crafted some shuttlecocks with real goose feathers, one for each of us so I received mine today. We packed everything up and went to the flat to shower before going to the church for tonight's session. We left and made it without any elevator trouble. It was my turn to speak tonight to the young guys and we had twenty or so there again (it has been a real encouragement to see these same kids every night with most from camp). I told them why I chose Christianity over any other belief using the story about Jesus fixing breakfast for the disciples.
After church we went to a nice restaurant for shish-kabobs. I could have gone with pork, beef, chicken, or various types of veg-kabobs, but the beef brains really sounded good with the pork cutlet salad. The waiter actually came back to make sure that I knew I had ordered brains, and I said yes (the menu was in English and I read English pretty well). The salad was good and I ate the tomatoes and the mushrooms (big step for the tomatoes but they were actually pretty good tonight); I tried some of Aunt Kathy's lamb-kabob, and shrooms, but at long last my brains came out. The first bite left a bit to be desired because it was a little soupy. The outer ring of brain was better because it was a little firmer (think scrambled egg texture), but the flavor wasn't all that bad, it came with lemon, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. Rachel tried some of the brains and didn't care too much for it, but I can't say that I would order it again.
I have been feeling pretty down since camp ended for a number of reasons and no reason in particular beyond the fact that I cannot sustain happiness (especially like that at the camp). I took a swing in the other direction. I know I won't see many of those kids ever again, and thinking about the kids and the opportunities they will have when compared with those I will have, and about the sad moral and religious situation of the Ukraine (not to mention the religious situation in the States) is more than enough to ask my tears to leave my eyes. My heart is still very heavy, though my body is not overly tired. I haven't had much time alone to process the stuff I've been experiencing, so it has built up quite a bit. We're back in the flat now, Jon safely asleep (just like every other time I've reached the end of the day's article), with some plans for tomorrow (and others that I am sure I haven't been told). Germany beat Portugal today 3-2 if anyone over their cares.

1 comment:

lafe caton said...

You have been amazing little buddy!!!! it has been a thrill to run to the computer each evening to absorb all you experiences i shared your blog identity to alot at church. guess i am pretty proud of you. ive ben vbs'n all week in preparation. love you trust you and believe you can do all things through HIM,
mom