Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Badminton Guru

You know the drill by now wake up, breakfast, leave. We went and bought some water to mix the Gatorade (which was delicious today (Thanks Tom)), and then went to the gym to prepare. We had about the same number in both groups.
The little guys were great again. I worked a lot with the youngest crew there, and really enjoyed the spirit and positive attitudes of the kids (I think I've been hanging around with too many adults of late). I talked about what it means to be a real man during our devotional time with the guys.
The older guys were good also. Their skills seem to have improved quite a bit since yesterday. We played a three on three tournament that did get a little physical at times, but always ended with good attitudes. All of the guys played a huge game of knockout (my least favorite of basketball associated drills though it was from the 3 point line instead of the free throw line). Steve told me and Jon to jump in line so we did. (Jon, the little booger, got in line 4 guys behind me). I hit my first 2 shots, and the 4th. The rest were put backs. Jon was one guy behind me when he got put out. There were still about 20 guys left and I missed my 3 to the right and Jon, standing there, kicked my ball out of bounds, so I run and grab it and pull the 27 footer, dropping it right over the backboard, before the other guy makes it. I think todays shooting was more exhilarating than yesterday (though yesterday was pretty special). The guys erupted, none of them could believe I made the shot. Later there were 5 left and I was one of them, and Gary blows the whistle for us to end. I was playing the knockout game of my life and he ended it on a blown whistle; I was crushed (I might have actually won (oh well)).
Jon and I went back to the office to change shoes to get ready to leave, and one of the older coaches comes in. Just to be polite I ask how he's doing. He responds via Ira, and talks about the team and how the guys improving and all of that. He then begins talking about how he was a European champion in badminton. I offered him some Gatorade but he wasn't interested. I asked if I could shake his hand, and I did. I have shaken the hand of a European Badminton Champion; jealous aren't you (you can touch my hand if you ask nicely). He then went and got the medal and certificate he had received yesterday from some playing a while back. I was kind of surprised that it was so small (I've received bigger medals at sports camp), but I've never been as proud of any of my medals as this man was of his. He then proceeded to take us to his office, discussing the finer points of badmintoning. Ira was translating for us. He then turned on his computer (thanks Daewoo) to show us an instructional Chinese badminton video. That was after he froze Explorer trying to open the thing (people think I'm impatient with a computer, he twentytuple clicked and froze it). I wanted to make a suggestion but thought it best to sit patiently. I finally did offer to help and opened the video. It had awesome chinese spa music in the background, and I have never seen badminton techniques that could be mistaken for yoga (of course I've never seen badminton played in slow-mo). Then Ira gets a phone call and leaves; at this point coach wants to emphasize some of the points made in the video, and he didn't use any numbers or greetings or letters of the alphabet (which is the sum of my Russian speaking knowledge), so regardless I did a lot of nodding and have almost perfected the emotive grunt. This went on for almost 15 minutes, Ira came back and told us we needed to meet Aunt Cathy for a graduation party. I waited a few more minutes (we were actually hitting the bird now) and conjured the courage to tell him that we would love to stay and watch more of the video but we have a meeting we needed to get to. So I shook 'the hand' again and left.
We went to a restaurant to get some drinks and then Aunt Cathy told us we were going to take a taxi, but she said we had to tell the guy we were late for a meeting and needed to get there (the idea being it would be one crazy ride). Unfortunately, we had a very scrupulous taxi driver and it was not death defying or even remotely exciting (thanks for all of the prayers mom, steal all of my fun).
We arrived at the church for the pizza party for the kids from the camp, after getting some 2 liters (yeah they do have Pepsi). About 20 of the players showed up including one of my little guys. We had plenty of pizza and drinks for everyone and had a really good time. We played the push game and the kids really enjoy playing that especially with Greg and Jon (I'm not as good as they are (though I introduced the game).
I noticed a lady outside of the church and she was walking up and down in front of the building. I saw her twice as I was taking out the trashing a couple different times; I wanted to inviter her in but thought she is probably waiting on a ride or something. She was still there about 15 minutes later so I asked Ira to go and ask her if she would like a piece of pizza. She came over and I introduced myself while Ira got her some pizza. She asked if I was from the States and what kind of church this was. She then asked about the church having connections in France and I went to get Gary on that one and left him with the conversation but this was a very significant moment for me. It couldn't have been more obvious but I still questioned the validity of the situation: this woman was pacing the sidewalk in front of the church; it should have been obvious that she wanted in but I didn't see it at first. Finally I noticed and thought why didn't I invite her in the first place, she belongs in here. It was a wonderful and perspective changing moment and I am thankful for it.
I went back inside and talked to my little guy for a bit. He was very thankful for the energy I put into the camp and said that he is having a lot of fun and learning a lot. I also invited them to the church on Sunday. I invited some of the older guys to come on Sunday also and they invited me and Jon and the others to go to one of their street courts on Saturday to may be play some there. I said I would really like but I don't (and still don't) know the schedule.
I rode the van back with one of the guys and we talked about basketball. He wants to play ball at college but his shooting skill is keeping him out, so tomorrow Jon and I will give him some shooting drills and tips to help him out.
Jon and I made it back with 1/2 a pizza, and there's still a cold Sprite waiting in the fridge. Spakoima Noche.

No comments: